Bienvenue à Wviscanada – DirectÔCanada

Our offices

803 Boulevard Labrosse,
Gatineau (QC), J8R 1G6, Canada


+1 (819) 444-6691

Study permit

Canadian law requires all international students to obtain written permission (study permit) to undertake studies or courses of university or professional training or other courses when the duration of these is more than 6 (six) months and that they are given in a designated educational institution (DLI) . However, in some cases, the study permit is not required

Studies without a permit

You can study in Canada without a study permit if:

  • In preschool, primary or secondary if you are a minor, provided that your parents have a work permit, or a study permit
  • You follow courses of general interest,
  • You are studying remotely
  • You take your courses as a free listener (generally by following an academic course, but without obtaining credit for it, or having the possibility of obtaining retroactive credit).
  • You are taking a course or study program of a maximum duration of 6 months that you will complete within the authorized period of stay when you enter Canada;
  • You are a family member (or private staff) of a diplomat accredited to Canada
  • You are a member of foreign armed forces present in Canada;

Despite these exceptions, before you enter Canada, you can apply for a study permit to follow a course or study program of a maximum duration of 6 months.

Prior study permit

If you plan to study in Canada, you will need a Visa and a study permit. the visa you allows you to travel to Canada, the Study permit confirms your student status in Canada.

The study permit is issued only to applicants pursuing studies in DLIs.

To obtain the study permit, you will first need to obtain a letter of acceptance of one designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada offering a program of study relevant to your goals and ambitions. All elementary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. If you plan to study at a post-secondary educational institution (college, CEGEP, university, etc.), the list may vary depending on the province you have chosen. Contact us to check if the educational institution of your choice is on the list.

When your choice of study establishment will be made, you will apply for admission. If you are admitted, you will receive an acceptance letter. Once you have this letter in hand, you can ask a study permit at the Canadian visa office on which your country depends.

Criteria and documents required

Various documents and specific criteria will be required of you in order to obtain a study permit, including:

  • Hold sufficient funds to pay the tuition fees for your first year of study and support yourself.
  • Obtain a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ), if you wish to study in the province of Quebec;
  • No criminal record;
  • Immigration medical examination;
  • Provide your fingerprints and a photo (biometric data) after submitting your permit application.
  • You may be required to complete certain courses before being accepted into the program of your choice (conditional acceptance), it will be possible to obtain a study permit only for the duration of these courses. When the chosen educational institution has accepted you into the targeted program, you will have to license extension application.

Study in Quebec

If you wish to study in Quebec in a training program lasting more than 6 months, you must be admitted to a study establishment recognized by the Ministry of Education and Higher Education or another Quebec ministry. . This will allow you to get a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) prerequisite for obtaining a study permit from the federal government.

Cooperation agreements between certain countries and Canadian provinces exist (eg France-Quebec, Belgium-Quebec). They not only allow you to pay tuition fees at preferential rates, but can also facilitate your eligibility and obtaining the study permit. Do not hesitate to contact us to learn more and check if such an agreement exists between your country of origin and the Canadian province of your choice..

Change your status in Canada

If you are a visitor to Canada, you can apply for a study permit if

  • You attend kindergarten, primary and secondary school
  • You are part of a visit or exchange program at a DLI
  • You have completed a course or program of study that is a requirement for admission to a DLI.
  • You must register and continue to pursue your studies in Canada. Otherwise, it could result in your removal from Canada.
  • You must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress to complete your program of study.

The study permit automatically becomes invalid 90 days after the end of your studies, unless you also have a valid work permit, or another authorization to stay in Canada.

Work while studying

Do you plan to work while studying in Canada? It is entirely possible to do so. You can begin your job search efforts as soon as you arrive in the country. To do this, you will need to ask social Security number after Service Canada.

Note that foreign students who come to Canada as part ofan exchange program are not allowed to work while studying.

A study permit automatically authorizes you to work off campus until 20 hours per week during the regular academic session and at full-time during scheduled academic holidays, without the need to apply for a separate work permit. A work permit is nevertheless required if you participate in a cooperative program or if you are an intern.

Work after your studies

If you obtain your diploma and if you have studied at least 8 months in a post-secondary school, you will be able within 180 days of obtaining your diploma to submit an application for post-graduation work permit with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The duration of this permit cannot exceed the total duration of your studies. For example, if you studied for 16 months, the post-graduation permit will be for 16 months. This is a temporary work permit. Its maximum duration is 3 years. If you qualify, you will be allowed to work full-time after graduation until a decision is made on your post-graduation work permit application

Staying in Canada after your studies

If you have completed your studies in Canada and obtained a Canadian diploma, you will be able to apply for permanent resident status. Some provinces, such as Quebec, offer programs, such as the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ), which can speed up the selection process.

To find out more and learn in detail about the steps to follow and the criteria to meet to study, work and immigrate to Canada, do not hesitate to contact us. He will be happy to answer all your questions and accompany you in your steps..


You call us or fill out the contact form for a free evaluation. We will assess your case and provide you with our professional opinions on your chances of success as well as a detailed support offer.


We'll work with you to create a solution that's right for you, and likely to lead to a successful immigration process.


We will thoroughly review your supporting documents and work to build a strong case and submit it to IRCC.


In order to save you any stress, we will take care of all communication with the Canadian provincial and federal authorities on your behalf, and will keep you informed with each update of your application.


Once the decision has been made, we will advise you on the next steps necessary to prepare for your arrival in Canada or to pursue your Canadian project.

Ne risquez pas des délais inutiles ou un refus. Tout commence par un plan d’études convaincant et bien rédigée. Parlons aujourd’hui de l’obtention de votre permis d’études et commençons votre demande !


 Wokgoué Visa & Immigration Services

I thank the firm for its incredible efforts! the sound advice provided by the consultant throughout the process of my application, allowed me to renew my status.

Wokgoué Visa & Immigration Services service canada country


Work permit

Verified by ExactMetrics