Bienvenue à Wviscanada – DirectÔCanada

Our offices

803 Boulevard Labrosse,
Gatineau (QC), J8R 1G6, Canada


+1 (581) 705-4443

Overview of the IEC program

International Experience Canada (IEC) offers young people the opportunity to travel and work in Canada for up to 2 years.

There are 3 different types of work and travel experiences:

Category Working Holiday

This category is for you if:

  • you do not yet have a job offer;
  • you want to work for more than one employer in Canada;
  • you want to work in more than one location;
  • you want to earn some money so you can travel.

The type of work permit you get for the Working Holiday category is a open work permit.

Category Young Professionals

This category is for you if:

  • you have a job offer in Canada that contributes to your professional development;
  • you will work for the same employer in a given location for the duration of your stay in Canada.

In this category:

  • your work must be remunerated;
  • you are not self-employed.

The type of work permit you get in the Young Professionals category is a work permit linked to a given employer.

Your employer must comply with all the standards of the provincial or territorial labor law where you want to work, including minimum wage requirements.

To be considered as a job that contributes to your professional development, the position you will be offered in Canada must correspond to the skill type 0 or skill level A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

A NOC C level position may qualify if it is in your field of study. When you apply, you must submit your educational credential post-secondary :

  • diploma;
  • certificate; Where
  • grade.

It must be translated into English or French.

Internship Category Coop International

If you are a citizen of partner country, you could apply in one or more of these 3 categories.

Whether you are not citizen of a partner country, you can still apply for the IEC through a recognized organization.

Who can participate

To participate :

  • your country or territory of citizenship must have a youth mobility agreement with Canada; Where
  • you can use the services of a recognized organization.

Some countries only allow you to participate once. Others allow you to enter twice, but in different categories. As each country is different, it is important to check that you can indeed apply.

Even if you receive an invitation to apply, you cannot participate more times than your country allows. After you submit your application, an agent will assess your eligibility, including your past participations.


The dependents can not accompany you to Canada under the IEC program. However, they can apply to visit, study or work in Canada. Your request and theirs will be considered separately.

If selected

If you are invited to apply, you will receive a message in your account. The message will indicate your category and the next steps to follow.

You will have 10 days to decide if you accept the invitation. The deadline will be specified in the invitation. From the moment where you will accept the invitation, you will have 20 days for apply for a work permit online.

If you not answer not to an invitation no later than the deadline specified in the invitation, the invitation will expire. If it expires, you will need to submit a new IEC profile and be admitted back into the pool to be considered for future invitations.

If you accept the invitation received, you must apply for a work permit. You must submit proof of the information you provided in your International Experience Canada (IEC) profile. You must also provide other information about your background and the type of employment you intend to do in Canada.

If you are not invited to apply

Your profile will remain in the IEC pool until:

  • all profiles are removed from the pool(s) at the end of the season;
  • you are no longer eligible for IEC.

In some categories, if the maximum number of places available is reached before the end of the season, profiles will no longer be accepted in these pools. If your profile is listed in another category that is still accepting applications, you may still receive an invitation to apply under that category. If you wish to submit a profile in another pool, you must withdraw your current profile and submit a new one.

When pools are closed, candidates receive a notice of this in their account.

At the end of each season, the pools will be closed for at least two weeks.

If you still wish to come to Canada to travel and work under IEC, you will need to complete and submit another profile after the opening of the next season. Once your profile has been created, you will have 60 days to complete it. If you still meet the minimum eligibility criteria, you will receive a new IEC profile number. If you don't submit a new profile within the 60-day period, you'll have to start over from the beginning.


 Wokgoué Visa & Immigration Services

I thank the firm for its incredible efforts! the sound advice provided by the consultant throughout the process of my application, allowed me to renew my status.

Wokgoué Visa & Immigration Services service canada country


Work permit

Verified by ExactMetrics